I heard somewhere that Apple pie and Mac and Cheese are both very American foods. I can actually recall a Fourth of July while working at Wawa when I asked every customer that bough a pie other then Apple if they weren’t American… and then of course laughed.
Nachos – with an American Twist
Finally down to only two boxes of Mac and Cheese left out of the eight pack I bought in July, I decided I would try something different than the traditional Mac and Cheese, Mac and Cheese with Chili or Mac and Cheese with some other meat tossed in. My section of the freezer still full of ground beef, I thought to myself, “Why not make Nachos with Mac and Cheese?”
It seemed logical enough, a lot of Nacho platters you order while out to eat have a melted cheese in each layer, so rather than melting my shredded cheese I chose to use Mac and Cheese.
I cook for an army despite only feeding two. I am pretty sure this dish can feed four to six people as a meal and even more as a snack.
Here is what you will need to make your own Nachos with an American Twist
– 2 lbs. ground beef
– 2 packets of Hot Taco Seasoning
– 1 box of Mac and Cheese (needed ingredients usually include water, butter and milk; check your box for specifics)
– 1 large tomato
– 1 large sweet onion
– 1 large bag of corn chips (NOT Fritos)
– 1 bag of Mexican shredded cheese
– 1 bag of Romaine lettuce if desired
– Sour Cream, Guacamole and Salsa if desired
– Large tray to put Nachos on
– Defrost beef
– Dice tomato and onion
– begin to boil needed water for Mac and Cheese
– On large tray lay out layer of Corn Chips, place layer of lettuce on top (if desired)
1. Place ground beef in large frying pan and begin to cook on medium heat
2. When Mac and Cheese water boils, add noodles only. Cook for recommended amount of time on box (aprox. 9-10 min)
3. In different frying pan sauté some of the diced onions – if desired
4. When all of the meat has browned, add both packets of taco seasoning and small amount of water (aprox. 1/4 cup).
5. Mix meat and taco seasoning completely
6. Strain Mac and Cheese when ready.
7. Add remaining ingredients to Mac and Cheese (milk, butter and cheese packet)
8. Stir Mac and Cheese until all ingredients are mixed
9. When all items are cooked, turn burners off.
Building your Nachos:
10. On your pre prepped Nacho tray place layer of Mac and Cheese on top of chips/lettuce
11. Place layer of meat on top of Mac and Cheese
12. Place some onions and tomatoes on top of meat
13. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of onions and tomatoes
14. Place another layer of chips on top of shredded cheese
15. Repeat steps 11 through 13 (or 14 if all ingredients are not used yet)
16. Add Sour Cream, Guacamole and Salsa to top (if desired)